Kennedy Stone House

 

Look through this window into the past on the shore of beautiful Salt Fork Lake. This lovely Stone House has been restored to its 1840’s appearance compete with a summer kitchen and existing unique root cellar. The summer kitchen, built adjacent to the main house, lessened the possibility of fire and also kept the main house cooler in the summer. The kitchen was used year round for the preparation of food, as well as butchering and canning. The ox yoke on display above the fireplace was worn on oxen that hauled the sand stone to the site by the Irish masons who built the house.

 

Benjamin Kennedy at the age of 23 in 1837 purchased an 80 acre tract of land on Sugar Creek and commissioned the building of a stone house. The stone blocks, quarried on the property, were finely crafted and tightly fitted. The house and root cellar nearby cost $600, a bargain, even in those days!!


Benjamin married Margaret Orr in 1842 and the Stone House was home to several generations of Scots-Irish Kennedy descendants until 1966 when the home and surrounding area were bought by the State of Ohio to facilitate the Salt Fork State Park. Signifying its importance, the House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. In 1998 the Guernsey County Bicentennial Commission designated the Kennedy Stone House as

their legacy program.










The house has been restored; the summer kitchen built; herb garden planted; well dug; well house and privy built. A pavilion has been built west of the root cellar; landscaping; a Veterans Courtyard; a Remembrance Walk of engraved bricks of veterans and friends. A road has been cut into the property

 

A BIT OF HISTORY

In March of 1999, ten people formed a group  with the goal of restoring the House. The Friends of the Kennedy stone House Salt Fork State Park became a chartered organization n 2002 and obtained 501(c)(3) status, which means contributions to this worthy cause may be tax deductible. The Friends are the core group behind the restoration, and have been joined by many volunteers.

Ancestral Home of the

Benjamin Kennedy Family

Built circa 1840

Jean Fox, Docent